In the advent of the social media revolution, privacy violations have increased to a worrying level. We usually don't realize that there is a ambiguous side to the internet, that just as we get information from it we share the information about ourselves.
The problem of privacy are making some people argue for organizing the internet under a "czar" or overseer. I don't know about you but the idea gave me shudders just as I looked over the article. I had visions of an "internet empire" with an all-powerful dictator that could control every movement on the internet - and implicitly, our internet lives. Perhaps we would not be subjects in real life, but right there in internet-land, we would have to submit to the whim of a person that would have much more power than Stalin or Hitler ever had.
Brrrr.... I hope this will remain internet-fiction (i-fi!!), and the internet will remain a Republic. I'll drink to that.
No comments:
Post a Comment