The Internet Archive Stores the 'History of the Internet' For All to See

Rest assured - all the crap that is floating around the internet these days is not going to go away. The Internet Archive project is working hard at conserving the history of everything that went on the internet in the past few years - exposing all the pointless heap of data people post every day to all the ridicule of the future generations. That, in case they will pay any sort of fleeting interest in what their parents and grandparents wasted their time on.

I have a mixed feeling about this, just as I have a mixed feeling about the internet as a whole. I mean, there's very useful and wonderful stuff out there on the web - but, by the gods, there's far more absolute nonsense, beginning with the ads promising you a millions of dollars at the click of a button and ending with a brilliant new Search Engine Optimization technique that you can obtain if you can only part from a small amount of your cash. What can I say? Martian sociology may find even that kind of crap useful to explain the evolution (or perhaps involution) of the alien human species. Someone's crap is someone's gold, like they say.

With that, I'm hereby adding to the compost heap the Internet Archive will eventually store for the enlightenment of future mankind or other alien species.

No comments:

Post a Comment