Weird Internet Names

I remember a time when Internet brand names used to be mild. Think about it: Hot-mail, Net-scape, Explorer... Then things started to go awfully wrong. I'm not sure how it started, but I guess it had something to do with the impact of Yahoo. Is Yahoo inspired by the Jonathan Swift characters of the same name? I never got to find out. Anyway, Yahoo was the beginning of the mess. Now look at the internet today:
Google
Squidoo (I love this one. I even joined because it sounded so cool)
Bukisa
Skype
Twingly
Triond
Guba
Technorati
There you go, advertising for free :)

I've actually started a project collecting weird internet names. I will report on the weird name of the day.

I may be having a laugh, but I actually think that the name of a brand has a lot to with its success. In the internet world, the weirder and wackier it gets, the better. I love it. Let the creativity pour forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment